Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Long Time No Talk

Sorry for the lapse in blog posts! Let's see, what have I been up to... I have to look through my camera for visual evidence...

I made a great chicken pot pie worth mentioning. It's Barefoot Contessa's recipe and it was very good. I made the pie crust/top from scratch and I generally stink at baking, so I was proud of myself.


My sister and I went to Boone to visit my Dad this past weekend. It was cold and crisp and the leaves were beautiful - despite it being just past "peak". We did some touristy things including visiting the Orchard at Altapass and the Woolly Worm Festival. Because I'm sure you don't know the history of the Woolly Worm Festival - why would you? - here's a quick recap.



In the American Northeast, it is believed that if the woolly worm has more brown on its body than black, it will be a fair winter. If the woolly worm has more black than brown, the winter will be harsh. Every year on the third weekend of October a festival is held where they "race" contestants' woolly worms and people gather for food, music and vendors. The winner of the race predicts 13 weeks of winter (to correspond to the 13 bands in the worms coloring). Below is the forecast for this winter based on the winner from Saturday. 


The High Country Forecast for the 13 weeks of Winter are as follows: 

1 - Lt Snow & Cold
2 - Cold & Snowy
3 - Cold & Snowy
4 - Cold & Snowy
5 - Lt Snow & Cold
6-11 Normal Cold
12 - Cold & Snowy
13 - Cold & Snowy



Fall foliage

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I like all the fall foliage pics. I made a pot pie recently too- but instead of chicken I did braised beef and instead of pastry crust I did potatoes. So sort of shepherd's pie-y. Yummy though!

    ReplyDelete