Sunday, September 11, 2016

Walk It Out

Starting the weekend Martha and Ron were in town (mid-August) I began having daily pre-labor - essentially fairly consistent and uncomfortable contractions every day from about 2pm until I fell asleep at night, but sometimes in the morning too. Like the world's worst mind trick, I wondered every day if "this could be the day" and was left feeling frustrated and discouraged when it was just the same thing the next day. Not to mention it was hard to not get Jimmy's hopes up as well when he would witness me having contractions all evening. My only consolation, a combination of nice walks and lots of cuddling while I rested.

Reading material: check!
Wrong shoes, kiddo

So 39 weeks 2 days (Tuesday, Aug. 30) was one of those days when the contractions started in the AM and some were pretty uncomfortable, so Jimmy decided to stay home and possibly go into work late and I took to the streets to "walk it out" - hoping to get the contractions into a better rhythm. I scooped up Danny and walked the beach in front of our house too. A nice bonding moment knowing now what was coming next ;)


I also called the doctor and they suggested I come in for a "labor check", so I went in and saw Dr. Carroll who confirmed that I was having early labor contractions, but that it wasn't the active phase yet and that I was 4 cm and 80% effaced. She then suggested I consider an induction later in the week if they eventually stall out again. Before she left the room, however, I asked the magic question - "is there anything you can do today in the office that might help push things along?" to which she said, "lay back and I'll strip your membranes!" And then she explained that this process doesn't always do anything, but we'll know within 12 hours and then she let me know that she was on call tonight in Labor and Delivery and if I came in, she wouldn't send me home. Wink wink. Essentially, if you come in with contractions, worst case scenario, she'll break my water and we'll get this show on the road. Ahhh, I can see the end in sight!!

Within an hour or so, the contractions were stronger, but still not entirely consistent, so I laid down to take a nap and got in some additional snuggles with my sweet Crew.


Knowing I had "the out" offered by Dr. Carroll, Jimmy went ahead and took the boys to Papa and Lita's and we decided to go into town and have a nice dinner and maybe do some more walking to see what will happen and then possibly head to the hospital. With some spicy Indochine in my belly, the contractions finally got into a rhythm and by the time we paid the bill they were consistently 4-6 mins apart. So at about 7:30 or 8pm we headed to Labor and Delivery only to be told Triage didn't have a room :( So I walked the halls and the contractions kept getting stronger and closer together - finally this was it!

Mildly amused in Triage waiting room

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment