Sunday, November 14, 2010

Weekend Updates

Saturday Jimmy and Jake got some really good surf at Masonboro Island. As a side note, I never know how to blog about surfing. It was epic? No, that sounds lame coming from my mouth. Anyways, Saturday was just grocery shopping and laundry for me. BORING ;)

{Masonboro Island 11/13/10 from CarolinaBeachSUP.blogspot.com}

Saturday night we met Matt Atkinson, his mom and mom's family, along with Jake and Martine, for a great dinner at a local seafood/oyster bar. Matt and his family were in town to cheer on Matt's 57-year old Uncle Barry in the Beach2Battleship Ironman triathalon. At the time we were eating dinner, Barry was running miles 13-16 approximately. He'd been at it since 7am. This picture below, courtesy of Matt's mom, is Barry's daughter crossing the finish line with her dad. She met up with him to run the last 6.5 miles - a HUGE motivation I'm sure. Anyways, I don't know these people except indirectly through Matt. I just think it's a nice story. I need to set a goal for myself like a half marathon or something. Or maybe I could just try to run over 5 miles which I think is impossible for me at this point. Amie, remember when we were going to do the triathalon relay? How long before we backed out?


Over dinner I did a lot of talking with Martine who's a new kindergarten teacher in Wilmington. She told me her students LOVE when people come to visit and she can always use volunteers and people who want to come play with them. The first thing I thought and said aloud... Can I come the week of Thanksgiving and help the students make those painted handprint turkeys that their parents then hang on the refrigerator and I'll bring cupcakes with turkeys on them.  What about the papersack fringe Indian vests? Can I read them a story? Do they like to hug? I think I'm a kindergarten teacher at heart...

Sunday Jimmy went fishing with Mike and came home with some yummy trout that we'll be cooking up early this week. I went to Dinner Club. The theme was vegetarian. The turnout was spotty with it being November and people having other things going on. I brought this Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Quinoa recipe and it was a huge hit!

{Closet Cooking}

1 comment:

  1. I love quinoa. In other news- Team Edward conquers Team O'Connor!!! Whooohhooo! Um- I also think it's funny that Jimmy twitters. He's so hip!

    ReplyDelete