Saturday, February 12, 2011

Lack of Blogging & Upcoming

So sorry for my lack of blogging over the last couple weeks - or has it been since just after the holidays? There's no (legitimate) excuse really. Work has just been super busy for both me and Jimmy. I guess I get home from work in the evenings, quickly workout before my mind and body can argue, make dinner and then I'm spent! No biggie - just need to get back in the swing of things!

My mom comes down on Monday for new hire training at New Hanover hospital on Tuesday morning. Jimmy has class Monday night, so my mom and I are making a V-day dinner together. Jimmy and I will then go out somewhere Tuesday night. Then my mom's back in town over the weekend - for good - and she starts her new job on Monday - very exciting stuff!

The timing couldn't be more perfect because I'm taking on a PROJECT, for lack of a better word, that I'm really going to need her help with. I'm going to start writing a book - something I've always wanted to do. The subject - my mom's mom - my Nanny - who passed away in the fall of 2009. She lived an amazing life and, lucky for me, documented so much of it. I don't want to give away too much because I'm still trying to figure things out, but here's a few pics of my inspiration...

My Nanny's teenage journal, an old postcard of main street Anchorage, Alaska, my grandpa who passed away when I was really young, pics of my Nanny and grandpa in Alaska during WWII. 
My Nanny's adult journal, started on the day she married my grandpa. Not pictured is my grandpa's journal, also started on the day of their wedding.
My Nanny's wedding corsage from 1942.
I'm really excited about "digging in" and hopefully getting to know my Nanny in a way I never did as her granddaughter. So there. No turning back now. Wish me luck! I'm sure I'll be blogging about it. Stay tuned for other weekend updates!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I fully love and support this endeavor and can't wait to read your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're writing a BOOK?!?! Please can we have a phone date so I can get more details!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that you're starting! I can't wait to also learn about Nanny and Grandpa Spencer through your work. Keep us posted, I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete