Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sleep Saga Part 1: The End


I know I've complained a number of times about how much figuring out Danny's sleeping has stumped me. I knew that I'd lose sleep with a newborn, I was prepared for that, but I didn't anticipate the added months of the "unknown".  All this said, we're extremely happy to report that we've turned a corner with Danny - he's now sleeping through the night and taking at least one long nap, like 2+ hours, a day. Hallelujah!

Not sure if any of this made a difference or whether he just grew out of his bad sleeping habits, but here are some things we did:
  1. Increased his solids intake from just one meal of rice cereal to 3 rice cereal and 2 vegs/fruits meals
  2. Put him down on his belly for naps and night
  3. Moved to a 2 (sometimes 3) nap routine - late morning, early afternoon and maybe a 3rd nap late afternoon
  4. Last, but not least, cry-it-out, which was not as bad as a thought it would be. The first night, two Fridays ago, he cried for about an hour at his usual first wakening around 11pm and then didn't wake up again, which was very unusual for him. The second night it was about 45 mins at 11pm again and then nothing. By Sunday, he was sleeping through the night. 
Mom and Dad are so well rested. Danny wakes up in the morning and from naps smiling like this. Life is GOOD!


P.S - I title his post Part 1: The End because I know that we'll inevitably have sleep troubles again. Be it brain leaps, teething, sicknesses or just wanting to play - in the middle of the night - I'm sure we'll have sleepless nights to come. For the time being, however, I'll just bask in glory that is sleeping through the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment