Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tailgate Toss-up

My next dinner club is Sept. 26th and the theme is "Tailgate Foods". Not surprising, I like to bring it at dinner clubs, so I tested out a few recipes on Jimmy today to make sure I had a winner. He kindly obliged to taste test, as that was all I was making for dinner and it's the first Sunday of the football season - a.k.a Christmas in September for Jimmy...

Contender #1 and First Place Winner - Jalapeno Popper Dip with Tortilla Chips

This recipe is from my friend Catherine. She adapted her recipe from another friend, Sarah. You can find Catherine's rendition here. I didn't have parmesan cheese, so I used cheddar and I wish I had toasted my panko crumbs before topping the dip. All in all though, very, very yummy!



Contender #2 and Second Place - Hot Wing Wontons

Though these were very good tasting, any time you make homemade wontons, it's always a hassle. I don't have a good pan for frying - wish I had a fry daddy - so it also made a big mess. For the two aforementioned reasons, this recipe lost points, falling into second place...



Contender #3 and Last Place - Ham and Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Spiral Rolls

For one thing, I don't think these were very "tailgate-ish". I chose this recipe because I had ingredients in my fridge to use up. I also bought crescent roll dough,  not dinner roll dough, so rolling the ham/cheese/broccoli mixture into the dough and cutting into spiral disks, was a huge bust. Jimmy and I both agreed it tasted pretty good though, so I may try doing it the right way for another occasion...


In other news, Team O'Connor is beating the Westchester Crushers 122 to 45 in my ladies Fantasy Football league and the night's not even over!

2 comments:

  1. These all just made me incredibly hungry. In other news- I'm so deflated, depressed, traumatized, humbled, saddened by my fantasy showing this week. I somehow need my kicker to score me 25 points tonight to be Team Thomas. Pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you tried the tailgate dip... and that it made the cut for dinner club!

    In case you ever want to switch it up, Sarah's dip uses no sausage, 2/3 c mayo (no sour cream), 2 cups spinach, no Mexican or Mozz cheese (ups the Parm to 1 cup), and 1/2 cup of almonds on the top.

    ReplyDelete