Thursday, August 5, 2010

Blueprints - Built-in Bookshelves

This is the first in a post series I'm going to call Blueprints. Blueprints is my way of cataloging aspects of house design that catch my eye. While I love, love, love my house and feel very fortunate every day for our slice of Heaven by the beach, I also have a natural wanderlust for things 700 S. 5th Street just didn't come with. I figure if Jimmy and I ever remodel a room in a house or build a house someday, I'll always have my Blueprints, my inspirations, big and small, to refer back to. I hope I don't bore you too terribly. So here we go...

Hi, I'm Kaylie and I'm a book hoarder. I love getting books as gifts, buying my own books and being loaned a book. I don't like book-for-book exchanges or, God forbid, just flat out loaning someone a book - what if they don't give it back?!?! I don't like libraries because then you have to return the book. And my Kindle, as cool as it is, definitely goes against the grain of my obsession. All this babble aside, it's always been a dream of mine to have big built-in, best case scenario, floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. I especially love when they straddle doorways and windows like pictured below. We already have my hoarded loot, so now all we need is a wall and a little wood, right?

1 comment:

  1. My sentiments exactly about books and bookshelves. Ben thinks that having a lot of books is an eyesore and I think it's the most amazing thing ever. And yes- I am ok usually lending out books- but SOME people don't return them! Which is ok some of the time- but when it's a BELOVED book? Like 2 that are lent out right now that the people who have them don't seem to have any interest at all in returning despite my very passive and not so passive aggressive comments about it? Unacceptable. I like your Blueprints idea. I'm very excited to get the new book "Hue" by Kelly Wearstler (just out!) It's both a book - Yay! and it's interior design by my favorite decorator - double Yay!

    ReplyDelete