Sunday, August 8, 2010

Best Mac and Cheese

Jimmy had to study all weekend, so it was pretty much just me the last couple days. I enjoyed some much needed rest and relaxation on the beach and otherwise took it pretty easy all weekend. Saturday night I made a green curry dish for dinner (I had so much lemongrass, kaffir leaves, etc left over from the first time). This morning I made edamame hummus and then whipped up a yummy veggie sandwich for myself. I've read a couple times on Peanut Butter Runner about Great Harvest Bread Company and come to find out I drive by our local Great Harvest Bread Company everyday on my way to work and had never really taken notice. I'll definitely be a frequent customer from here on out...


For dinner tonight, it was a side dish that was the star of the show. My brother sent me two mac and cheese recipes that he thought looked good and I pulled my favorites from each to make what I swear is the best mac and cheese I've ever had. Thanks for the recommendations, Colin! Initially caveat, this recipe is not for the faint of heart or the health conscious. Once you commit to making it, you've just got to go for it!

Combination of Lucky 7 Mac and Cheese and Homestyle Mac and Cheese Recipes

3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sharp cheddar
1/2 cup bleu cheese
1/2 cup colby
1/2 cup swiss
1/2 cup monterey jack
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 lb elbow pasta
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Cook pasta per directions (minimum length)
  3. Meanwhile, add butter and flour to saucepan to create roux. Next add the heavy cream, all the cheeses, dijon mustard and salt and pepper and stir until melted and combined. 
  4. Combine the elbow pasta the cheese sauce. Put in a greased 9x13 baking dish. 
  5. I choose to top mine with panko crumbs that I tossed in a little melted butter. 
  6. Bake for 20 mins
Note that you can use any combination of cheeses, as long as you end up with 3.5 cups. So bad but so good...


    1 comment:

    1. Thank you for this recipe. I never ever ever have found one I like and have tried a million different ones!

      ReplyDelete