Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Success!

Well last night's Green Chicken Curry turned out pretty amazing if I do say so myself. I was too ravenous from my afternoon workout to pause to take a picture for proof - I'd make a horrible food blogger - so you'll just have to take my word for it. For anyone who's interested, here are my modifications:

  • Green Curry Paste - I decided not to make my own, but used a jar of Thai Kitchen's pre-made paste instead. One review said you should use a specific Asian food specialty store version, but I think the kind I used worked out just fine. Per yet another review, however, I would recommend adding a dash of chili and curry powders to give it a little more heat and flavor.
  • Lemongrass - Harris Teeter didn't have this fresh, so I used about a tablespoon of a minced version (found in the produce section near the packaged herbs)
  • Kaffir Lime Leaves - Again, Harris Teeter didn't have this fresh, so I used a few pinches of bottled kaffir lime leaf shreds (found in the Asian food section of HT)
  • Curry Sauce - Just before I added the chicken to poach in the sauce, the last step, I did a little sauce taste test. Luckily, I still had the taste of the restaurant green curry I had a couple weeks ago lingering on my palate, so I quickly knew something wasn't right - it just wasn't sweet and flavorful enough. So, I added two teaspoons of sugar and that was the ticket. Perfect!
  • Thai Basil Leaves - Just used regular basil
  • Serve over Jasmine rice
The whole meal took 30 minutes from start to finish. I will definitely be making this again - Lord knows I have enough minced lemongrass, green curry paste and bottled kaffir lime leaves left over...

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I live off curry these days. There's so many different ones you can make between Indian and Thai, American bastardized step versions! YUMMY! I have a great thai shrimp soup that uses lemon grass- but Jimmy doesn't like shrimp...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I'm starting to have a pile of recipes to try from your blog, Kaylie!

    ReplyDelete